Retro console games such as Mario, Contra, Tetris, Pokemon, etc. were a rage during the late 80s and early 90s. Gaming consoles such as Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Genesis, GameBoy, Playstation and Atari were the most popular gadgets for the children belonging to all age groups. But since, with the evolution of technology these consoles have become obsolete in the today’s world. However, fans of the old arcade classic still crave for these games.
Nonetheless, Android emulators are available in the Google Play Store which are able to play the old arcade games right on the mobile devices. In this article, we present you different emulators available in the Google Play Store with which you can cherish your old devices without any hassle.
10 Best Emulators for Android Reviews
- Nostalgia.NES Pro
Nostalgia.NES Pro is one of the most favored Nintendo Entertainment System emulator for Android. It is a boon for the people who are looking for a genuine and complete solution to play different NES titles. Besides that, it has a very user-friendly and easy to operate interface. Some of the salient features of this awesome app are described below –
- Game Progress Saving and Loading function – The emulator provides 8 different slots for manual save anywhere in the game. Moreover, the saved games can be shared over Bluetooth, e-mail, Whatsapp, etc. right from the app.
- Rewind – Rewind is a great option to comprehensively complete different arcade games. Whenever your character is killed in a game, you can click the rewind button to undo it and your character will be restored back to life, a couple of seconds back in the time.
- WiFi controller support – This amazing app features the use of WiFi controllers, and a maximum of 4 controllers can be attached to a single smartphone.
- Supports both PAL and NTSC video formats.
- Screenshot button – The app features a screenshot button that allows the user to take the screenshot of the screen, anytime in the game.
RetroArch is one of the most versatile emulators available for the Android devices. It is an open-source project and involves the use of a unique interface known as the Libretro. This Libretro interface is the backbone of the RetroArch app, and allows us to use this emulator for a variety of platforms including – GameBoy, GameBoy Advance, Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo 64 and Sega Genesis. Moreover, it has a vast functionality with which we can also use OpenGL, external camera, GPS, and wireless technology with the emulator.
Apart from that, RetroArch also constitutes on an in-built store which allows you to access great entertainment content in a seamless fashion.
The C64.emu is the emulator for the fans of Commodore 64. It is one of the best available emulators for the Commodore 64 platform and works seamlessly to provide you an enthralling experience. Intrinsically, the emulator is based on VICE 2.4.20 architecture that provides it a solid framework. The additional range of features of the C64.emu constitute of –
- Disk autostart which supports .bin, .crt, .d64, etc.
- In-game save option to save your progress anywhere during the game.
- Clear sound technology incorporating FastSID and ReSID sound modes.
- Supports both NTSC and PAL systems.
- High-level configuration panel – to configure controls both on-screen and with gamepad.
- Bluetooth/USB/WiFi support for keyboard and gamepad.
- Works in both Landscape and Portrait orientation.
- FPse for Android
FPse for Android is one of the most popular and stable Playstation 1 emulators for Android. It is loaded with great features and provide a solid performance. Moreover, Fpse supports all Playstation 1 games, so that you can rejoice any old titles that come in your mind. Besides that, to make you gameplay more interesting FPse also supports cheat codes, colorful themes, different controller support and different visuals.
Let’s have a look on its additional features –
- Solid interface that has the ability to scan through your phone’s local storage to find any Playstation 1 games.
- Ability to locate game covers automatically.
- Ability to save your progress anytime in the game.
- High quality audio through .cue file extension.
- Force-feedback that supports vibration controllers.
- Ability to attach a maximum of 10 game controllers.
- In-built gun emulation feature known as the Guncon, which allows your finger to act as gun in supported games.
- Real-time emulation of Analog sticks on the gamepad.
- High quality compatibility with G-sensor, mobile touchscreen and game buttons.
- Supports a wide range of game controllers including Wiimote, BGP100, Zeemote, etc. along with native support for PS3 and Xbox controllers, and Nvidia Shield.
- OpenGL support for high graphics performance.
- Multiplayer facility between Android phones through LAN mode. A maximum of 4 devices can be attached through Bluetooth or WiFi.
- Included search engine to find any relevant cheat codes for a game.
- Real-time support for Virtual Reality Glasses.
- John GBC
John GBC is a specialized emulator for Game Boy Color. Being a specific emulator, it is very efficient in running Game Boy Color games without any hassle. It is available in two versions John GBC full and John GBC lite versions. While the lite version is free to download, the complete version requires you to pay $2.99 only.
Some of the main features of this emulator include –
- High quality rendering capability – Most GameBoy emulators provide good compatibility but lack in the overall rendering capabilities which results in high amount of pixelization of the textures. However, John GBC is a dedicated emulator which focuses greatly on the rendering process of each game.
- Fast performance – Thanks to its dedicated kernels, the emulator is able to perform at amazingly brisk pace which elevates the entire gaming experience of the users.
- Competitive game scan system – This emulator constitutes of a very able scan feature which allows you to scan through different folders and sub-folders of your internal as well as external storage.
- Customizable controls – The John GBC emulator empowers the user by providing customizable controls. The user can designate any type of controls required to play the game. One has the option to use the touch screen controls, gamepad control or legacy controls to play the game.
- Cheatcode support – The emulator provides real-time cheatcode support, thus adding a great sort of fun while playing Gameboy games.
MD.emu is a dedicated Sega Genesis emulator for Android devices. Generally, Sega Genesis emulators are a rarity and one has to use sub-standard emulators to play Sega Genesis games. Moreover, the emulator supports all the major Sega consoles including – Sega Mega Drive, Sega CD, Sega Master System and Sega Mark III. Besides that, you also get support for a large number of game controllers. Let’s have a look at some of its additional features –
- Cheat code support – Use different cheatcodes to pace through different levels with ease.
- Dual Orientation – The emulator works seamlessly in both portrait and landscape orientations suiting the user’s need.
- High quality sound output – The emulator provides high quality sound output through accurate re-sampling of the audio.
- SVP chip support – Heavy Sega games require SVP chip hardware which is duly supported by MD.emu.
- Configurable controls – The emulator provides easy to use controls which can be further customized according to the user’s requirement.
- Anywhere save option to save your progress anytime in the game.
- Bluetooth/USB gamepad and keyboard support.
Tendo64 is a dedicated N64 simulator which is still under development but its beta version is already released and available on the Google Play Store. Being an open source project, the emulator offers a load of features and tweaks for the user to obtain optimum gaming experience. With its added features, customizable layouts, configurable controls, and great game compatibility it is a great gaming utility. Besides, it also includes –
- Cheatcode compatibility – To use cheatcodes to pass through difficult levels with ease.
- Vibration feature – The emulator also supports vibration for the compatible controllers.
- Multiplayer facility – You can also play multiplayer games with your friend with the emulator’s great multiplayer capability using both Bluetooth and WiFi to connect different controllers.
- Xperia Play support – The emulator supports Sony Xperia Play configuration including controls and resolution.
- Interactive GUI – The emulator provides very interactive interface and GUI, which provides a very vibrant experience to the users.
- Multi language support – The emulator supports more than 20 languages which is a boon to the users living in different parts of the world.
- DraStic DS Emulator
DraStic DS Emulator is one of the most popular emulators for Nintendo DS. Moreover, it is widely accepted as the best DS Emulator available for Android platform. This amazing emulator is backed up by proficient game compatibility which can run over 300+ DS game titles. Besides that, it also supports a large number of game controllers which enthralls the entire gaming experience for a user. Let’s have a look at its features in detail –
- Enhanced 3d graphics – The emulator is able to enhance the overall quality of graphics two-fold of the original resolution by incorporating the use of mobile phone’s hardware.
- Customizable DS screens – The user has the ability to customize the size of DS screens along with the selection of desired orientation (portrait or landscape).
- Great controller support – The emulator supports a wide range of game controllers including Dual Shock 3, Xbox controller, Xperia Play and Nvidia Shield.
- Cheat Code support – With the ability to use cheat codes in the game, the user can cherish the added fun factor.
- Ability to save games on Google Drive – The emulator provides direct on the cloud storage facility through Google Drive which enables the user to free its phone storage space.
ePSXe is undoubtedly one of the most popular Playstation 1 emulators on Android. It offers high compatibility and solid performance while running most games. Besides, the general functions of standard emulators including button remapping, on-screen control configuration, help files, etc. On the other hand, the latest update of ePSXe also supports OpenGL support through plugins. While the original Playstation 1 lacked any HD capabilities, the ePSXe supports upscaling standard definition games to HD quality.
Additional features include –
- Compatible for both smartphones and tablets.
- Multiplayer support through Bluetooth and WiFi.
- Split-Screen mode for two player multiplayer on one device.
- Large number of game controller support, including – Xbox controller, Dual Shock 3, etc.
- Xperia Play optimized – ePSXe is optimized for working on Xperia Play. With the dedicated controls on Xperia Play, it is a great experience to play all the Playstation 1 games.
- Support for cheatcodes to enrich gaming experience.
- Native support for ARM and Intel Atom hardware.
SuperRetro is a dedicated SNES emulator for Android. All the great SNES games including – Mario, Contra, Tetris, Islander, Battle Tank, etc. can be played right on your Android device by using SuperRetro emulator. It is rich in features and provides a great quality graphics through its exclusive.
Additional features of SuperRetro include –
- Auto scan facility – The emulator scans through your phone’s storage space for any SNES roms on its own. That saves the hectic task of locating each game manually.
- Cheatcode Support – The cheatcode support is another great feature that allows the users to increase the fun of playing all the great SNES games.
- Cloud Sync – The emulator also provides great cloud storage facility through Google Drive, so that you can easily manage your game progress over different Android devices.
- Special effect shaders – The emulators includes high quality shaders that improve the overall graphical experience of the games.
- Great range of controller support – With SuperRetro you can be sure to use any different type of game controller to play the games. Besides, you can also use Keyboard and Mouse with certain games as well.
- Multiplayer support – The emulator also allows multiplayer gaming through Bluetooth and WiFi over different Android devices.
- In-game walkthroughs – The emulator provides great in-game walkthrough and guides to play different games. It is a great feature for the first time players.